ENRICHMENT AT THE RIDGE
NEWSLETTER # 6 MARCH/APRIL 2015
For further information on all of the items listed below Please see Ms. Patterson (firstname.lastname@example.org) in room 214
1. Essay Contests www.aynrandinstitute.ca/contests
Grades 9 and 10 only Anthem 600 – 1200 words.
Deadline March 20, 2015
Grades 11 and 12 only The Fountainhead 800 – 1600 words
Deadline April 26, 2015
2. Encounters with Canada www.encounters-rencontres.ca
Get an application code from Ms. P to register ONLINE (discounts available!)
Dates throughout the year – check the enrichment board (rm 214) or on the website.
A week in Ottawa at the Terry Fox Centre with students from all over Canada.
An opportunity to study one of eleven subthemes:
Arts and culture Medicine and Health
Business and Entrepreneurship Sports and Fitness
Canada Remembers Law
International Affairs Science and Technology
Journalism and Communications Social Sciences
Royal Canadian Mounted Police Mental Health and Wellness
3. Brain Bee at McMaster
Annual McMaster Brain Bee April 9, 2015
AND the Annual CIHR Canadian National Brain Bee: June 2015
Register online by April 5, 2015 and then let Ms. Patterson know if you are competing. We won last year – let’s go for it again RIDGE!
4. Guelph Interaction Conference admission.uoguelph.ca/interaction
Interaction is for students who have a passion for learning in Grades 10 and 11.
You may attend on EITHER April 22nd or April 23rd.
There are over 35 workshops to introduce University living and learning through informative and interactive sessions with Guelph faculty and staff.
The fee for the day is $30.00 and includes lunch. Registration fees must accompany registration forms. Registration Deadline – April 8, 2015
Please see Mrs. Gazan for more information
5. AP Exams www.ap.ca
Exam dates – May 4 – 15, 2015 (Cost $91.00US)
Exams are ordered
Information available from Ms. Patterson for next year.
6. HDSB Public Speaking Contest
Tuesday April 14th 2015 6:30 – 9:30 pm at WOSS South in the Cafeteria
Junior (9 – 10) and Senior (11-12) representatives can compete
See Ms. Patterson if interested – we need to defend our title!
Board Contact – Robin Coverdale – email@example.com
7. Scientifically Yours – a 2 day science experience for Grade 11 Students
May 7-8, 2015 at Brock University.- 25th Anniversary Year!
$285.00 + HST - inclusive
Application Deadline April 22, 2015
8. University of Toronto Youth Summer Programs www.ysp.utoronto.ca
Faculty of Law and Medicine run summer mentorship programs
$1260 inclusive/module– 4 modules to select from (many already wait-listed)
Fees and application due May 29th.
9. Rotary Club of Oakville Student Exchange www.rotary.org
15 – 19 year old student opportunity to a one year (August to August) or short term exchange. Applications being accepted NOW
10. M.E.I International Academy www.meiacademy.com
“the World is our classroom” Travel the world, study abroad or next door
11. OELC – Ontario Educational Leadership Centre www.oelccaso.com
Leadership camps running from May to September with a focus on athletics, music, fine arts, and student council leadership. Cost varies depending upon week chosen
$325.00 – $650.00
12. Harvard Summer School www.summer.harvard.edu/ssp
Secondary School Program June 20 – August 8, 2015
13. Live Different – Hero Holidays www.livedifferent.com
You can make a difference!
14. Projects Abroad www.projectsabroad.ca
Unique learning opportunities around the Globe!
15. Duke of Edinburgh Awards www.dukeofed.org