· An opportunity to earn a first year University credit or placement by writing an exam in May, 2012 at IRHS. Each exam is at a specified time.
· Some material for the English exam is integrated into the Grade 12 U course, and supplemented by a more intensive and exam focused tutorial series planned for lunch hours beginning in February and finishing in May 2012. The exam is the equivalent of a first year University exam, and thus preparation must be taken seriously. For all courses that might offer tutorial support:
o Students are to attend punctually, ready to take notes and participate in order to prepare.
o Students are expected to attend all tutorials/study group sessions.
o After two (2) missed sessions, a call will be made to parents.
o After three (3) missed sessions, students will be withdrawn from the tutorial support program, but may still write the exam in May.
· The French and Spanish Language Exams will be offered some support by the Moderns Dept., Economics by the Business Dept. and other exams by other curriculum areas and/or teacher “coaches”.
· All students are eligible to write an AP exam, and it can be written more than once over the years without penalty.
· The tests are created by the College Board; the same people who prepare the SAT exams for application to American Universities.
· Exams are administered at IRHS and sent for marking by AP evaluators.
· By achieving the equivalent of an A or A+ on an exam (which translates to a 4 or 5) a student is entitled to a credit at most Universities in Canada, and can then take only 19 credits for an honours degree instead of 20.
· By achieving a B (which translates to a level 3) students are eligible for scholarships in B.C. and at some Ontario Universities
· Cost: $87.00 US per exam
· Deadline: Thursday December 8, 2011
(detach and return the bottom of this form with payment)
o Cash/Money order for $87.00 US with parent permission slip
o Name and contact info. on list with Ms. Patterson
I ______________________ (student) understand the commitment I need to make in order to be successful on the AP exam in May.
$87.00 US dollars have been paid to IRHS
Parent or Guardian signature ________________________Date________